WE ARE HIRING ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONALS! Apply today for the positions of per diem sanitarians, full-time sanitarians, and a housing code enforcement officer/sanitarian! Click here for details.
June is National Healthy Homes Month!
If your house was built before 1978, your children and/or tenants may be at risk for lead poisoning
Elevated levels of lead in the blood can cause serious problems in children:
- Learning disabilities – Attention deficit disorder
- Hearing damage, speech, language, and behavior problems
- Poor muscle growth & coordination
- Other physical & psychological problems
Lead Poisoning is 100% Preventable!!
Reduce your risk:
- Have your child tested for an elevated blood lead level with a simple blood test. Children ages 9 months to 3 years should be tested once a year
- Have your pre-1978 home or rental property tested for the presence of lead-paint hazards
- Learn and always apply lead-safe work practices when repairing, renovating and cleaning your property
- Remember lead hazard reduction should only be performed by licensed contractors
Naugatuck Valley Health District’s NauVEL Program can help!
$$ Grants available to remove lead hazards from your home $$
Apply NOW to receive:
- Inspections and plans for lead and home safety hazard removal
- Financial assistance to remediate hazards
NauVEL = Naugatuck Valley Emends Lead Hazards
Naugatuck Valley Health District, Attn: NauVEL
98 Bank Street, Seymour CT 06483
Carol Slajda, Program Manager