January is National Radon Action Month!
The Naugatuck Valley Health District (NVHD) is urging residents to test their homes for radon gas, the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers.
Residents in the towns of Ansonia, Beacon Falls, Derby, Naugatuck, Seymour, and Shelton can pick up a FREE radon test kit at the health department located at 98 Bank Street in Seymour.
**Supplies are limited, so please call NVHD at (203) 881-3255 to make sure test kits are still available before you head to the health department.
Please view our 2017 Radon Press Release
Are You Ready For Winter?
If you are prepared for the hazards of winter, you will be more likely to stay safe and healthy when temperatures start to fall.
Many people prefer to remain indoors in the winter, but staying inside is no guarantee of safety. Take these steps to keep your home safe and warm during the winter months:
- Install weather stripping, insulation, and storm windows.
- Insulate water lines that run along exterior walls.
- Clean out gutters and repair roof leaks.
- Check your heating systems.
- Have your heating system serviced professionally to make sure that it is clean, working properly, and ventilated to the outside.
- Inspect and clean fireplaces and chimneys.
- Install a smoke detector. Test batteries monthly and replace them twice a year.
- Have a safe alternate heating source and alternate fuels available.
Prevent carbon monoxide (CO) emergencies.
- Install a CO detector to alert you of the presence of the deadly, odorless, colorless gas. Check batteries when you change your clocks in the fall and spring.
- Learn symptoms of CO poisoning: headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.
Get your car ready for cold weather use before winter arrives.
- Service the radiator and maintain antifreeze level; check tire tread or, if necessary, replace tires with all-weather or snow tires.
- Keep gas tank full to avoid ice in the tank and fuel lines.
- Use a wintertime formula in your windshield washer.
Prepare a winter emergency kit to keep in your car in case you become stranded. The kit should include: cell phone, portable charger, and extra batteries; blankets; food and water; booster cables, flares, tire pump, and a bag of sand or cat litter (for traction); compass and maps; flashlight, battery-powered radio, and extra batteries; first-aid kit; and plastic bags (for sanitation).
Please visit Ready.gov for more information on how you can be better prepared for winter emergencies!
NVHD FLU CLINICS
The Naugatuck Valley Health District (NVHD) will offer influenza vaccine clinics to residents of Ansonia, Beacon Falls, Derby, Naugatuck, Seymour and Shelton during the months of September, October and November. Flu vaccination is recommended for everyone 6 months of age or older.
Flu Clinics will be available by appointment on Tuesdays at Naugatuck Valley Health District.
Call 203-881-3255 and ask for Kristen to schedule your appointment
Please read the 2016 Flu Clinic Press Release for pricing, accepted insurance provides, and additional information.